Admitted pioneer students arrive Real Madrid Football Academy Port Harcourt

Sixty-six pioneer students offered admission into the Rivers State-owned Real Madrid Football Academy have arrived at the institution for regular academic and sporting activities for the 2023/2024 academic session.

The Academy is located in Elekahia community of Port Harcourt Local Government Area of Rivers State.
The take-in of the students followed the directive by Governor Siminalayi Fubara that regular academic and sporting activities should commence without further delay at the Academy.

The Principal of the Academy, Fortune Wolugbom who addressed the students said as pioneers, so much is expected of them in ensuring that they take their studies seriously and to make the school an enviable place.

He thanked Governor Fubara for the order he gave to the Rivers State Ministry of Sports that the Academy should be opened for the purpose it was established.

He also commended the immediate past governor, Chief Nyesom Wike for initiating the establishment of the world-class academy.

Mr Wolugbom said the Ministry of Sports under Commissioner Christopher Green is committed to the success of the academy.

He said this was why the commissioner had driven the process that had eventually made it possible to start regular activities at the academy.

He assured that the Read Madrid Academy will harness the academic and sporting potentials and talents of youths, and help them to become superstars.

Some students of the academy expressed happiness for the opportunity to be part of the first batch of students in the academy.

They thanked Governor Fubara for ensuring a take-off of the school and promised to use the opportunity to develop their talents in sports and academics with a view to making their parents and the State proud.

On their parts, some parents of the students, expressed happiness that the academy has started academic activities for their children and expecting the best for them.

It would recalled that former Governor Nyesom Wike, who is a diehard football fan of Real Madrid Football Club said he built the Academy with the aim of partnering with the Spanish football club to groom talented young people who want to take football as a career

The immediate past Minister of Sports, Sunday Dare, commissioned the Real Madrid Academy on Tuesday, March 9. The Academy which was built in partnership with the famous Real Madrid FC of Spain will admit 70 per cent of Rivers State indigenes and the remaining 30 per cent will be for students from other states in Nigeria.

The academy which is open to children between the ages 5-17 is meant to nurture future stars by combining football with academics.

The State Government said that Real Madrid had signed an agreement with it to provide technical assistance to the Academy.

The Real Madrid Football Academy Port Harcourt was founded in 2019 by the Governor of Rivers State having been given the Franchise to operate by the Real Madrid Foundation in 2019.

Wike had appointed Chairman of Rivers State FA and former member of the NFF Executive Committee, Christopher Green now the Commissioner for Sports, to oversee and actualize the setting up of the Academy.

Green had also served as Chairman of the Nigeria Football Federation, NFF, Technical Committee.

Credit: pmnewsnigeria

Spread the love

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back To Top