Former FIFA President Blatter criticises 2030 World Cup in six countries

Former FIFA President Sepp Blatter has criticised the decision by the world soccer governing body to host the 2030 World Cup games in six different countries across three continents.

Morocco, Spain and Portugal were given the hosting rights for the 2030 tournament, while the opening matches will be played in Uruguay, Argentina and Paraguay to mark the tournament’s 100 years of existence, FIFA had announced on Wednesday.

The decision was not welcomed by Sepp Blatter, who was FIFA President from 1998 to 2015, before being forced out of office after a corruption investigation.

“It is absurd to tear the tournament apart in this way,” Blatter told Swiss newspaper SonntagsBlick.
“The World Cup finals must be a compact event,” he said, adding this was important for the identity of the event, for the organisation and for visitors.

FIFA has said the vast majority of games would be held in Morocco, Portugal and Spain, reducing the environmental impact of the tournament.

“For 101 games, the tournament will be played in a footprint of neighbouring countries in close geographic proximity and with extensive and well developed transport links and infrastructure,” world soccer’s ruling body said.

“Three games will take place in South America, also in neighbouring countries in close geographic proximity to mark the 100th year of the tournament.”

Blatter, once one of soccer’s most powerful figures, has previously criticised FIFA for awarding the 2022 tournament to Qatar, saying the Middle East country was too small.

The 87-year-old said the 2030 tournament should take place in South America, marking the 100th anniversary of the first event which was hosted and won by Uruguay.

“For historical reasons, the 2030 World Cup should have belonged exclusively in South America,” he told the newspaper.

Spread the love

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back To Top